Thursday, October 25, 2007

Note to self: buy more chocolate in December...

A funny article about how giving students chocolate before they fill out evaluations leads to higher marks for teachers. Check it out. I love that the article makes it clear that the researcher giving out the chocolate said it was "leftover from a function" and the students still gave higher marks.

"'Here we have something that has absolutely nothing to do with the course,' Youmans said. 'It's a stranger that gave them some candy right before their evaluations. And that stranger pushed their evaluations up a lot. That's the rub.'"

2 comments:

Heather said...

So, one of Burt's students gave me a candy bar today. Do you think he was hoping for a higher grade in the class? Actually, it was something to do with pledge week. I am not sure why he picked me, but it made me very happy!

Shannon said...

Heidi... I will be your guinnea pig if you like!! I'll do an evaluation...then, you give me chochalte... and I will do another evaluation... we can see how it changes. Anything for the name of research!!