Monday, July 30, 2007

Do you have a "signature" word?

"Everyone should have a signature word." That's what Ben Macintyre argues in this article. In it he also discusses Christopher Foyle's Foyle’s Philavery: A Treasury of Unusual Words, a book that I am going to have to put on my ever-growing Amazon.com wish list.* As someone who loves language, unusual words, and playing with language, I really enjoyed this piece--I only wish it were longer. Just yesterday I think I made up a word, although I bet lots of folks have used it before. A friend called me and asked what I was up to, and I said, "Syllabizing," as in, the act of working on my syllabi.

And now I am thinking about what my signature word is. I know I use "indeed" way more than I should in my academic writing. I also use "ought" way more than any normal 29 year-old American should. But those are not exactly the kinds of signature words Macintyre is talking about in this article. Well, I suppose I ought to give it some thought and maybe post an update if I think of one. Indeed.

Can any of you, my loyal if small group of readers, think of your signature word?

*For some reason, I can only find this book on amazon.com's UK site. Perhaps because it is so new (only published in the UK on July 27).

4 comments:

Shannon said...

"Barf" is my new signiture word! While barf is a little unusual here in VA during the summer! I can still find numerous ways to use barf in a sentance!!!

p.s. I just can't wait to build me a barf-man this winter!

Shannon said...

I am the only one reading this... or does noone else have a signiture word???

(ok...so I am really leaving another comment to see if the picture I just added to my profile shows up!!)

Shannon said...

It worked!

AMT said...

I have been thinking and thinking, but I don't think that I have a signature word. Yours is awesome, BTW.

I love that pic, Shannon! It's just too cute.