Wednesday, April 25, 2018

20 years ago?

25 April 2018:

"So today I finally find the courage deep inside
Just to walk right up to your door
But my body can't move when I finally get to it
Like a thousand times before
Then without a word you handed me this letter
Read I hope this finds the way into your heart, it said

I love you
Please say you love me too
'Til the end of time" --Faith Hill, "I Love You"

I have always really liked this song--its retro-sound, its big old vocal delivered by Faith, and most of all, the very sweet story it tells. It's been in my head today.

Just now, I realized I first heard it in the spring of 1998. (In fact, Wikipedia tells me the album--entitled Faith--was released on April 21, 1998.) That's twenty years ago. Wow. I remember so much of that spring and summer and so many of those memories are set to that album. It was, among other things, the summer before my senior year of college (terrifying and thrilling), when I did independent "grad-school level" research for the first time as a "Summer Scholar," when I lived on the Elizabeth Campus with my best friends and we felt like we had the whole campus to ourselves and kind of practiced for our first apartments, when I turned 21, when my sister got married... Lots of change and big thinking and the feeling of being on the cusp of new things. Again: scary and exciting.

Twenty years later. How much has changed? What remains the same? Hmmm...

No comments: