Friday, October 13, 2017

The best thing...

13 October 2017: "My brother's lizard pooped on my dad and he called the lizard an a-hole." --a student in my ENGL 312 class in response to the last "reading quiz" question I gave them today. The question was this: "What is the best thing that has happened this week?"

Look, these students are stressed and tired this week. It's midterm week, after all. So as I was writing their reading quiz, I felt like I should throw them this bone--a freebie of sorts that might make them smile a bit before we got down to business. I forced them to think about something--anything--that wasn't bad or stressful.

And I think it worked. Their answers were sweet, hilarious, and just fun. Everything from "I had pancakes for breakfast every morning" to "My friend called me when I was having a bad day at just the right moment" to "I took a nap yesterday." I shared all the answers with the class, too.

And the obvious bonus? I loved it, too.

No comments: