Monday, June 9, 2014

Yikes...

8 June 2014: I ain't gonna lie: we had a tornado warning yesterday that scared me. It came out of nowhere (even the weather guys said no one was anticipating severe weather). And it was freakily specific. When the Emergency Alert System took over the TV, the only impacted area listed was little old Shepherdstown. Shepherdstown is tiny, so when you hear it's in the bulls-eye, you feel, well, targeted.

Bing, Wes, and I took cover in the downstairs bathroom for about 20 minutes. As I sat there (with two not-happy cats), I felt very vulnerable. What can you do in that situation besides pray and hope for the best? In the end, it turned out to be no big deal. The storm did most of its damage in Martinsburg and even that wasn't too bad, but still, it's not an experience I am eager to repeat. I am, of course, quite thankful for that boring, uneventful outcome.

No comments: