Saturday, April 19, 2014

Holy Saturday

19 April 2014: Even when I was a kid, I would struggle a bit about how to feel/act on Holy Saturday. It's a day that has always felt like it was filled with two diametrically opposed sets of feelings: the somber reflectiveness of Good Friday and the joyous anticipation of Easter. As a child, I can remember feeling that I still ought to be filled with "Good Friday" thoughts, but couldn't help being excited for Easter the next day. For me then, of course, Easter also meant hanging out at my cousins' house, Easter egg hunts, and candy--and that made the anticipation even more exciting--not quite Christmas-Eve-levels of excitement, but you get the idea...

This week I've found myself thinking a lot about the Holy Weeks of my youth, a youth spent in religious schools that taught me so much about myself, my faith, and my values. Even today I have vivid recollections of Holy Week chapel services--songs, verses, sermons that I still remember, that moved me so deeply when I was just a kid. So today something that I am quite thankful for are those times at church and school. I feel so very blessed to have grown up immersed in those worlds.

No comments: