Friday, October 11, 2013

"Oversharing" and teaching...

This article bugged me.

Look, I get that professors shouldn't air their dirty laundry or too much personal information in class. Point taken. But the idea that we shouldn't talk about our own academic struggles or failures? Baffling--especially when it comes to writing instruction. Maybe that's a misreading or over-reading of the researchers' conclusions (and I suspect that it is the latter--their use of the ominous phrase "engaged with caution" suggests as much). But if it *is* an over-reading, then their message is, essentially, "Hey, don't do too much of these two things." In this case, those things are over-sharing and talking about your failures because they will damage your credibility and lead to incivility in the classroom. But guess what? I don't need a scientific study to show me that's true. Balance is key. We get it.

No comments: