Sunday, February 10, 2013

And there goes my Sunday...

Encore is showing all of North and South today (it got started at 10:00 this morning and runs until 7:30). When I saw that, you know I set the DVR (because, yeah, I can't watch 8.5 hours of TV straight). But I have been watching since 10:00, pressing "pause" every 30 minutes or so to get some work or chores done. And it's as awesome as I remember. (And I've blogged a bit about it before.) Take a look at the imdb page and check out that cast (besides Patrick Swayze, of course). Elizabeth Taylor as a madam? Johnny Cash as John Brown? And that's just scratching the surface.

Plus, since I haven't seen the whole thing since I was much younger, I can feel even smarter than I did back then. For instance, when Orry and George are at West Point, I remember young me feeling all clever for recognizing what it meant that an older cadet was named "Ulysses Grant," whose friends called him "Sam." But now I knew what it meant that two of their fellow cadets are Georges--Pickett and McClellan and another is Tom Jackson, later known as Stonewall.

So far, it's also offered up some terrific, 80s mini-series lines, including the villain yelling at a horse, "Faster, Satan, faster!" and one friend saying to another, "We're supposed to be fighting Mexicans, not each other." Good stuff.

No comments: