Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Trojan Women

Last Friday, I saw the Rude Mechanicals' production of Euripedes' Trojan Women. It was terrific and I've been thinking about it ever since. Because I am trying to post something every day and trying to not let two days go by without posting, I figured I'd go ahead and post about the part that moved me the most: when Andromache learns that her little son will be thrown from the walls of the ruined city. Before seeing this production, I was unfamiliar with this exact play (although I knew the basic outline of the story) but had always been moved by the tragic fates of Hector, Andromache, and their little son Astyanax. I remember very well the scene in The Illiad where Hector says goodbye to his wife and child, who is initially frightened by his father's armor. This scene humanizes the heroic Hector and makes his death even more moving to readers. And then to think of what happens to that little boy...gets me every time--even thinking about it. And then to see it acted out on stage! I am a total book/movie/play/TV crier, so rest assured, I had some tears running down my face.

Anyway, here's part of Andromache's speech: 

My child! my own sweet babe and priceless treasure! thy death the foe demands, and thou must leave thy wretched mother. That which saves the lives of others, proves thy destruction, even thy sire's nobility; to thee thy father's valiancy has proved no boon. O the woeful wedding rites, that brought me erst to Hector's home, hoping to be the mother of a son that should rule o'er Asia's fruitful fields instead of serving as a victim to the sons of Danaus! Dost weep, my babe? dost know thy hapless fate? Why clutch me with thy hands and to my garment cling, nestling like a tender chick beneath my wing? Hector will not rise again and come gripping his famous spear to bring thee salvation; no kinsman of thy sire appears, nor might of Phrygian hosts; one awful headlong leap from the dizzy height and thou wilt dash out thy life with none to pity thee Oh to clasp thy tender limbs, a mother's fondest joy! Oh to breathe thy fragrant breath! In vain it seems these breasts did suckle thee, wrapped in thy swaddling-clothes; all for naught I used to toil and wore myself away! Kiss thy mother now for the last time, nestle to her that bare thee, twine thy arms about my neck and join thy lips to mine! 

One of my former students played this role (and another student hit it out of the park playing Hecube). It's always so terrific to see them shine in a new light. 

No comments: