Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Devil's Highway

Not much time to write now, as the finales of Dexter and Homeland are about to start (priorities, you know!), but I just finished reading The Devil's Highway, which is being considered as a possible Common Reading selection for us. (We narrowed our list down to about 15, and I picked this one to read on behalf of the group.)

And wow...what a book. I'll make a case for it when the committee meets again. It's beautiful and tragic and absolutely gripping.  Miraculously, though, it's not preachy and is incredibly fair. Read it and you'll never think about illegal immigration from Mexico the same way again.

2 comments:

jackie said...

Todd has taught this book (& I've read it). Agreed. It's startling amazing.

Heidi said...

I am not sure if it will work completely as a common reading for Shepherd, but I will make my case for it! The challenge will be to come up with programming around it.

Which class did Todd teach it in?