Sunday, August 1, 2010

Homemade Tomato Sauce...

Since I am up to my elbows in tomatoes, I took a stab at making sauce from scratch. I used this recipe as a base. I made just a few modifications, but more or less stuck to it. At the end of the four hours of simmering, I thought it was still too watery, so I added more tomato paste and then pureed the whole batch in the blender. Overall, it was pretty good, but a bit bland. I'll have to think of how to spice it up a bit next time. More garlic, more pepper...

For tonight, I made some homemade meatballs, too. I have enough meatballs and sauce leftover for about three more meals. And I also froze two quart-sized bags of just the plain sauce. So all in all, a good first endeavor! Maybe I should try pizza sauce next...

3 comments:

AMT said...

I was thinking about all your tomatoes today, and I was going to suggest you make some tomato sauce and make some into ketchup.

Anonymous said...

Last summer we got tons of tomatoes from our CSA. The best two things I did with them was to make oven dried tomatoes with cherry and roma tomatoes (use just like sun dried) and to just boil, peel, chop, and freeze a bunch in 2 cup containers. Those lasted me through most of the winter for recipes. We've got too many cucumbers in our garden...

Jackie

Heidi said...

Thanks for the tomato advice, Jackie!

I would love to have more cucumbers. Mine really took a hit this year and are still struggling!