Thursday, April 22, 2010

Links, links, and more links...

It's the calm before the storm here, so to speak. Post-wedding, pre-grading onslaught. Yes, there are still dozens of tasks to get through today, but I really want to share some links that have been collecting in my bookmarks for a couple of weeks now.

First, the academic links beginning with the serious and ending with the downright funny:

1) Another great column from Libby Gruner, someone I met and admired in my brief time at the University of Richmond, at insiderhighered.com. This one takes on rubrics, spreadsheets, and the changing nature of being an English professor.

2) A nice little piece about keeping a notebook from insidehighered.com.

3) "Five Ways the Google Books Settlement Will Change the Future of Reading." Google Books has already changed the way I do research, so this article was especially interesting to me. A brief example: back in 2004/2005, when I was working on my dissertation, there was an childrens' book by Mary Mann that would have liked to get my hands on. Yes, I could have requested it via ILL, but it would have come in microfilm and that point in my process, I just didn't want to have another "must read on a small screen in the library" book to get through, especially for what would probably translate into a mere paragraph or footnote in my dissertation. So, I didn't get it. A few months ago, though, I was able to view and print the whole darn thing, thanks to Google Books. For people like me, interested in 19th-century and earlier texts, Google Books is amazing. I've also used it to print out big chunks of periodicals, for instance, to illustrate for my Seminar students the contexts in which some of Poe's stories appeared.

4) The field of English studies has been saved by "Neuro Lit Crit." Thank goodness. Some doubts and reactions here.

5) So a professor in California runs a website with advice for picking up hookers in Thailand. I don't see a problem here. (Actually, it's kind of an interesting piece in terms of how you handle abhorrent personal behavior that doesn't technically affect someone's work on campus.)

6) [Veering towards the funny/irreverent here.] "20 Percent of Librarians Have Done It in the Stacks." Isn't that the entire reason for working in the library? This also makes me think about my librarian friends in new ways...

7) "A Princeton Professor Dissects Ke$ha's 'Tic Tok.'" Absurdly wonderful.

No comments: