Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wildlife at the new house...

A couple of weekends ago, I was outside working in the yard a bit when I noticed Bing and Wesley transfixed by something...



I wasn't sure what to expect--I knew it had to be something small (since I couldn't see it from where I was) but not too small since they don't pay attention to really little things outside.

Well, here it was...


That's a pretty big mantis, right?


I put the watering can next to her so you could get an idea of her size. (I think it's a girl...don't know why...I think it's because in my mind, all the boy-mantises have had their heads removed by their mates. I know that's not accurate, but oh well.)


Check out Bing and Wes fighting a bit over the best viewing position.

Anyway, the preying mantis has made a few more appearances, although I haven't seen her in a week. I hope she comes back, though, as last weekend I saw her grab one of these sucker and eat it!


Take that, stink bug!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we had a praying mantis, named Monty, who lived on our porch for quite a while. he used to like hanging out on the wreath on the door... would sometimes reach out to grab you when you would open the door.

Haven't seen him in a few years, guess he lost his head!