Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Moments

Also in late August, I bookmarked the video below. I found it on The Daily Dish, whose guest blogger had found it at Jonah Lehrer's site. Lehner's words say it perfectly: "I won't waste too many words trying to explain this stunning video, which is by Will Hoffman and the folks at Radio Lab. At first glance, it's a mere collection of ordinary moments - a falling teardrop, an escaped balloon, a dive into a pool - but I think it's also evidence that the things we see everyday, when carefully framed, can ache with ignored beauty."



You could so use this in a composition or creative-writing class, couldn't you? It reminds me of that quotation from Tobias Wolf that I posted back in July. Just substitute "art" or "film" or any other medium for "fiction" and you'll see what I mean: “In fact, we’re always living next door to worlds that we don’t suspect and the best fiction suddenly illuminates that thing that’s been beside us all along and makes us see it for the first time and makes us enter another world.”

No comments: