Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Walt Whitman House

As regular readers no doubt know, I am a total geek for Walt Whitman. So, as you might expect, the news that Vogel had made arrangements for us to visit the Walt Whitman House in Camden put me in Nineteenth-Century American Lit Nerd Heaven.

We weren't allowed to take pictures in the house, but I do have some from the outside.


Here's David outside. He was a tough little trooper since his knee was really hurting him.


Vogel out front. Look how happy she looks--well, it's a bit hard to see, but trust me--she's happy! She was especially excited about seeing Whitman's actual boots in his bedroom. I'm not gonna lie--that stuff rocked hard core. They even had things like dishes he used, chairs he sat in, and his cane. I know most museums have things like that, but in this case, because no rooms were roped off or anything, it just seemed so natural--like touring a house, not a museum.


And here I am, posing for my front steps shot. Don't I also look happy? I was--I really, really was!


A view of the back of the house. I was a bit surprised that I didn't notice a big lilac bush, but maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, if you find yourself in the Philadelphia area and you love Whitman, you so need to go!

No comments: