Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Reading Terminal Market

So ever since Vogel moved to Philadelphia, I have been eager for her to take me to the Reading Market. Finally, on the way back from Camden, we stopped there. To my amusement, by the way, I discovered that I had already been right outside the space a bunch of times, most recently when I was at the 2006 MLA.

We had a great time there. Of course, the first thing we did was eat. (Remember--we had a hungry and thus easily annoyed David to contend with.) There are tons of choices for cuisine at the Market, but we picked Delilah's, in part because I remembered it from an episode of "Throwdown with Bobby Flay." I don't normally watch that show--and by the way, I think the concept is a bit obxious (let's find what folks say you do best and then let Bobby try to take that away from you), but I thought it would be fun to go anyway. Delilah's is famous for their mac & cheese, something I don't personally enjoy, but Vogel and David ordered some and loved it. I had fried chicken (pretty good, but not awesome) and Vogel had barbecued wings (which she said were delicious). David had some of Vogel's mac & cheese, but then ended up getting Indian food at this booth right across from us.

After we ate, we walked around a bit and just did some people watching. We stopped here to pick up some chocolate-covered pretzels that Vogel promised would be delicious--and they were. Finally, we stopped at Bassett's Ice-Cream, since we had all seen it featured on this Travel Channel show about the country's best ice-cream. We got a couple of scoops of vanilla to share (which was more than enough, since we were still full from lunch) and it was divine.

Some pictures from our adventure:


The sign for Delilah's. (Yes--it's a bit blurry.)


Bassett's Ice-Cream.


How could I resist this sign?


The delicious pretzels.


David and Vogel enjoying their ice-cream.

1 comment:

AMT said...

Yum! This is my kind of blog entry!

Mike and I always make fun of Bobby Flay because he almost always loses those throwdowns.