Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bing and Wesley's Christmas Gift...

One of the Christmas presents I got from this year was actually a gift for Bing and Wes: this water fountain. I've been wanting to get them one of these for a while now for a couple of reasons. First, Bing is pretty obsessed with running/dripping water and water in general, and I thought he'd get a kick out of this. Second, several years ago, I lost two male cats in less than 2 years from urinary blockages. Since then, I worry a lot about Bing or Wes having similar problems. These kinds of water bowls, though, encourage lots of drinking and filter the water, all of which is supposed to be good for urinary tract health. I was just a bit concerned, though, that the boys refuse to use the darn thing. I was even a bit worried that Wes would be afraid of it.

No worries, though! They love it and are drinking like camels. I took some pictures for my dad to show my mom and figured I'd post them here. If you have pets, I'd recommend this product. (It isn't completely silent, though--if there's no other noise, you can hear a gentle hum from the pump. Again, it's not a big deal, but it suprises me that that the company makes such a big deal about it being silent when it isn't.)


Bing's first reaction to the plugged-in water fountain? A scholarly approach: stare and study. It's worth noting that before it was plugged in and before it had any water in it, he was also fascinated by it and even flung his toy mouse into it. They also both drank from it before it was plugged in. (You sort of fill it in stages the first time, but it's hard to explain the concept of stages to cats.)


Wesley's first drink came directly from the ramp portion of the fountain (where water flows down). This tends to be their favorite part since they can kind of play with the water as it runs. Notice Bing continues to study the unit.


Wesley drinking from the bowl. He likes it! He really likes it! (For the record, it did scare him once, which was kind of adorable. He had just finished taking a big drink and the unit made a kind of "glug-glug" noise as water moved from the reservoir part to the main section.)


Finally, with all his studying done and his little brother out of the way, Bing takes his turn. He likes it, too!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Awwww! I'm glad you posted these pictures--so cute!

Shannon said...

yay!! I am glad that Wesley isn't scared of it... Just keep the flying monkey far far away from the water!!