Thursday, September 25, 2008

Olivia's Birthday

The second weekend in September found me once again in NY, this time to celebrate my niece's fifth birthday. Some pictures from the day...


Since the pinata was such a hit at Colin's party, Tara and Jeff got one for this party, too. Here are the kids posed in front of it--pre-carnage.


I'm not sure what they are making pinatas with these days, but just like at Colin's party, this sucker wouldn't break for anything. (Admittedly, plastic bats aren't the best option for breaking them, but you've got to be careful when you've got four eager kids a-swinging.) Here we see the beast beginning to lose its head, but actual complete breakage was a long time coming.


Eventually, Christian stepped in to speed things up. Notice the long strand of paper extending from the donkey's head to his body. Grotesque, no?


This picture cracks me up--Aidan staring at the devastation. And yes, the body is still hanging on.


Eventually, head did separate from body, the candy floodgates opened, and the kids filled their bags. I had Kelsie pose in front of the head, inspired by another old favorite photo of mine.


From back in 2005, my friend Aaron (with Liz W. next to him) in front of a similarly stubborn pinata that played a prominent role in Joe's going-away party. I am pretty sure that this wasn't posed, which makes it even more awesome. But back to the present...


Erin pushing Aidan on the swings. This kid loves to swing and it's so much fun to watch him while he does it. The look of pure happiness he gets is priceless.


Another happy swing shot.


This is what happens when boys take over the playhouse.


For some reason, I have lots of pictures of my dad and Ryan from this party. Oh well. Here's my dad and Aidan.


Dad and Colin.


Dad and Olivia, both proudly indicating just how old she is now.


Ryan and the birthday girl


Ryan and Colin.


Ryan and the boys.


Dad chilling in the pool.


Colin and I playing in the pool.


Kelsie and Colin being silly.


A cute shot of my brother Christian playing with the kids and Colin's awesome pirate ship.


Finally, this weirdly lit picture of my siblings and I. I am only including it because as it was taken, they were complaining that it would probably end up on the blog.

2 comments:

AMT said...

So cute! It looks like you guys had a really great time. I'm so glad you got to go to the party.

Shannon said...

poor pinata's... I always felt bad for those little buggers.

looks like everyone had fun though! and... I was noticing in the pictures of the kids with your dad... it is crazy how much colin and olivia look like your dad! the man upstairs really can do some special things...