Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Eaglecam

Last Friday I had a training session for the Civility Response Team, an organization on campus that I've just joined. The session was held at the National Conservation Training Center (NCTC), a fish and wildlife training center (and government facility) on the outskirts of Shepherdstown. The NCTC is really something--an amazing facility with gorgeous grounds, beautiful buildings--it's just a great place to be.

On our way out when the all-day training session was done (and is there any phrase that evokes less fun than "all-day training session"?), we were walking to our cars, and Alan, one of my favorite people from my department, pointed out the eagles' nest at the NCTC. He explained that there is even an Eaglecam set up so you can watch the eagles and the eaglets online. My interest was piqued, so I checked out the website and now I am hooked!

This year there are three eaglets in the nest, and you can read all about them (and previous years' efforts) here. There is also a link to a blog for eagle-watchers, who seem to be an amazingly involved community of devotees. Of course, the day (Saturday) I discovered the blog and the eaglecam was also the day that severe thunderstorms roared through the area. This is, of course, a danger for these little birds and people were on edge most of the day. (Today was a similar day, with a tornado warning in the area--honestly, I thought my car was about to washed away at one point!) Anyway, the babies survived Saturday's storms.

Today one of the eaglets fledged (left the nest) for the first time. The bloggers went wild with excitement. Bad timing, though, considering the weather. As of this point, the two remaining babies seem fine (wet, but fine) and there is no sign of the parents or the baby who flew off--not that that is necessarily a sign of bad news.

Anyway, if you are so inclined, check out the Eaglecam! Warning: it's kind of addictive.

No comments: