Sunday, January 13, 2008

Christmas Catch-Up Part II: Return of our junior photographer...

Remember this post from back in August? Well, on the same day that we bought the tree, Kelsie once again became junior photographer with my camera.

First, though, here's a cute shot of her as we were decorating the tree.


Sweet, right?

Anyway, as my dad and I were moving furniture around to make room for the tree in the already-cramped living room, and as we were all waiting for my sister Erin to arrive home for the holidays, Kelsie wandered the room, taking what she called "artistic" shots.


Bailey, at age 13, more kitten-like than he's been in years, looking out the front door, "waiting for Tante Guy," as Kelsie explained. (For those who don't know, the kids call Erin "Tante Guy"--and there's a long story there...)


Lorelei, or as I call her, "my mom's evil Siamese cat," peering out from under the ornament box lid. No, I don't think that all Siamese cats are evil--I grew up with Siamese, in fact. This one, though, fits the stereotypical "evil Siamese" role to the letter. She'd give those Lady and the Tramp cats a run for their money.


After she got bored with the cats, she moved onto inanimate objects, most notably "Oma's birds." My mom has gotten into collecting all things cardinal-related. Believe me when I tell you that this one shot represents a fraction of the pictures Kelsie took of the bird menagerie. (Forgive me for exercising considerable editorial discretion.)


Next it was onto "Oma's cat statues." Again, you are seeing just one of at least ten shots. To say my mom likes knick-knacks would be quite an understatement.


Finally, Kelsie thought it would be "really cool" and "kind of funny" to take pictures of pictures in frames. Kind of post-modern, right? Since my parents' living room also has enough picture frames to fill a museum gallery (mostly of the grandkids), I've been selective of Kelsie's shots again. And, because so many of these pictures are, as I mentioned, of the grandkids, I decided to use one of Erin. Vive la RĂ©sistance! (Stand up for the rights of the kids without kids! We matter, too, or at least that's what we keep trying to tell my parents.)


Kelsie's last shot was this one of Erin as she came in the door. Technically, this is a re-created moment, as she missed the shot initially and asked Tante Guy if she would pretend she had just come in. Erin was happy to comply, not bad for someone who had just completed a seven hour drive.

Anyway, once Tante Guy was home, Kelsie was done with the camera. Can't say I blamed her!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi Heidi! I can't believe how "grown up" Erin looks... I am used to seeing pictures of her like the one that Kelsie took of her picture! Makes me feel old that everyones younger siblings are getting so grown up!!

Shannon said...

p.s. ... Now I know why you have some cardinal things around your house!! and ... what would your mom have thought of your gay birdy bar for male cardinals??? hmmmm.....

Heidi said...

I don't even have to ask her: I am almost 100% certain that my mom is opposed to gay birdy bars. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "not in my backyard."

AMT said...

It was nice to see Bailey again! Maybe you could get Kelsie to come in as a guest speaker if you teach a class in post-modernism.

Heidi said...

Yikes--I just realized that in this post and the next one I had a glaring typo in the title. Good thing you can fix those things.

And yeah, Bailey is still going strong.

Kelsie could be a guest speaker in a class. She already uses some freakishly big words for a nine-year old.